The annual Studio A.C.T. Inter-Session offers weeklong intensive experiences and one-night Master Classes in popular acting skills areas. Inter-Session Intensives meet for 5 consecutive evenings, Mon–Fri December 9–13. Master Classes meet only once.
- All courses meet at 30 Grant Avenue in downtown San Francisco, unless otherwise noted.
- Inter-Session 2019 intensives meet Monday to Friday for a total of five sessions. Master classes meet for one session only.
- Students receive written evaluations for 8-session courses only.
- College credit is offered for 8-session courses only.
M–F 6:30–9:30 p.m.
|Intensive: Unarmed Stage Combat Certification
with Dave Maier
M–F 6:30–9:30 p.m.
|Master Class: Intro to Intimacy Direction for Theater
with Maya Herbsman
Mon 12/9 only
The annual Studio A.C.T. Inter-Session offers weeklong intensive experiences and one-night Master Classes in popular acting skills areas. Inter-Session Intensives meet for 5 consecutive evenings, Mon–Fri December 9–13. Master Classes meet once only.
Intensive: Audition for Theater
This advanced intensive addresses common issues that inhibit success when auditioning for theater. Students will “cold read,” prepare assigned material, receive directorial adjustments, and be put through their paces in mock callbacks. All students will be asked to self-assess in the process of overcoming unproductive auditioning habits. Résumé preparation and headshot selection will also be touched upon. After registering online, students will receive confirmation of approval to enter the class and a note from the instructor on what to prepare for the first day.
Intensive: Audition for Theater is for you if:
- You are a regularly auditioning actor looking to polish and sharpen your auditioning skills.
- You are preparing for auditions at local theaters that have recently announced their upcoming seasons.
- You are preparing to audition for MFA programs.
- You have taken advanced acting courses, whether at A.C.T. or elsewhere, yet still wish to develop a solid foundation of skills and confidence when it comes to auditions.
Intensive: Unarmed Stage Combat Certification
This course is designed to cover fundamental techniques to safely and convincingly create the illusion of violence onstage. Stressing safety, storytelling, and partnering, this class will explore the most commonly used unarmed combat techniques, including fighting with found objects and comedic violence. Students will also have the option to take an unarmed skills proficiency test for certification in Unarmed Combat as a Theatrical Combatant with Dueling Arts International. Actors whose résumé includes certification in stage combat techniques have an advantage with directors and casting directors looking to cast productions involving theatrical violence. The cost of certification in included in your tuition.
Intensive: Unarmed Stage Combat is for you if:
- You are an actor who wishes to expand your stage combat skill set.
- You are an actor who wishes to enhance your résumé with certification in unarmed stage combat.
- You are a person who is not an actor but wishes to explore a fun, creative, and empowering mind-body practice.
- You enjoy combining physical and intellectual challenges in creative ways.
Master Class: Intro to Intimacy Direction for Theater
One Class: December 9 only
This is a one-night introduction to the emerging field of Intimacy Direction. In this master class, we will dive into the history, foundational techniques, and principles of Intimacy Direction. Students will receive an introduction to practical collaborative methods for staging intimate dramatic moments onstage in ways that put the actors’ safety first, while also allowing for more intricate storytelling. The class is open to actors, directors, choreographers, stage managers, or anyone else who finds themselves in the rehearsal room.
Master Class: Intro to Intimacy Direction for Theater is for you if:
- You’re a theater artist who is curious about the field of Intimacy Direction.
- You’re a theater artist aiming to create safe, consent-based workspaces.
- You’re a theater-maker looking to expand your knowledge of the world of intimate interaction onstage.
© 2019 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.