This FREE EVENT is currently at capacity. Please email email@example.com to join the waitlist today.
Sunday, August 25, 2019
30 Grant Avenue, San Francisco
Join us for three 40-minute introductory workshops in Acting, Improv, and Voice/Movement. Then stay for a short Q&A with Studio faculty and the Director of Studio A.C.T., Mark Jackson.
What, where, and when is the Summer Sampler?
- The Studio A.C.T. Summer Sampler 2019 is a free, 1-time event designed to offer an introduction to what Studio A.C.T. classes are like! We hope you can join us!
- The Summer Sampler will take place Sunday, August 25, 12–3 p.m. at 30 Grant Avenue in downtown San Francisco.
- Please plan to stay for the full event from 12–3 p.m. During that time you will have three unique introductory experiences—with Acting, Improv, and Voice/Movement—to give you an idea of the various classes offered by Studio A.C.T.
- No prior experience with acting is necessary to participate in The Summer Sampler workshops.
- The workshops will be followed by an informal Q&A where you can get all your Studio A.C.T. questions answered!
- People who attend the Summer Sampler 2019 will receive a 20% discount* on their Fall Session 2019 classes.
- Space is very limited—please sign up for this free event in advance.
*discount does not apply to 1-day Master Classes.
Schedule: Sunday August 25, 2019
|11:30 a.m.–12 p.m.||Arrivals
|12–2:15 p.m.||Workshops (40 minutes each; 5 minute breaks between)
Below are descriptions of three classes we’re offering this Fall Session 2019, which you will get an introductory sampling of on August 25th:
This early-level acting class emphasizes ensemble-building, imaginative play, expanding creativity, strengthening self-confidence and self-discipline, memorization techniques, cultivating personal responsibility, and strategies for successful collaboration. Course content may include some memorization of short scenes and monologues from contemporary plays, and students will be asked to prepare assignments outside of class. Students should plan to attend all class sessions and expect to actively participate in all games and exercises. Though not required, it is recommended that students who register for Acting 1 also register for a Studio A.C.T.Voice, Physical course.
Acting 1 is for you if:
- You’ve taken Introduction to Acting at Studio A.C.T., or an equivalent elsewhere, and wish to continue exploring acting.
- You took an acting class or acted in a play many years ago, and wish to reconnect to actor training.
- You’re wondering whether a career in acting is for you and wish to explore it on your feet.
- You’re interested in the full Studio A.C.T. Acting 1–3 Sequence and are ready to start.
Introduction to Improv
Sometimes silly, sometimes outrageous, Improv training will inspire you to think outside the box and feel excited to say "yes" to the unknown. Studying improvisation frees the imagination, builds self-confidence, and is fun! This class will help you become more spontaneous and receptive to new ideas in a playful, supportive atmosphere, alongside classmates from a wide variety of backgrounds. Through a variety of creative, on-your-feet games, Improv helps you become more comfortable in yourself, no matter the situation. Though not required, it is recommended that students registered for this course pair it with Introduction to Acting.
Introduction to Improv is for you if:
- You studied Improv a long time ago and need a refresher.
- You wish to try Improv for the first time.
- You’re an actor who wants to develop greater spontaneity in your acting.
- You’re not an actor, but want to feel more comfortable in yourself in a variety of social or work situations that demand your spontaneity.
- You’re looking for a fun and creative experience with performing, but without the pressure of memorizing lines or analyzing plays.
This class helps students connect their voice to their body to more truthfully activate and express their character’s psychology and emotions. It’s about getting your own voice out of your head and your character’s voice into your body, forging authentic and dynamic connections between yourself and your character. Through a variety of enlivening and rigorous exercises, participants will learn to free their voice and breath, activate their entire body, be open to the emotions that are kindled in us as a result, and channel the sometimes intense emotions that plays ask of us in a way that is both dramatically effective and personally healthy.
Voice/Movement is for you if:
- You are an experienced actor looking for a solid weekly voice and body workout.
- You are an actor with some experience who wishes to strengthen the connection between your voice and body.
- You have taken Acting 1, Acting 2 at Studio A.C.T., or its equivalent elsewhere, and wish to begin bringing a greater awareness of your voice and body to your acting.
© 2019 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.