Audition Submissions Are Now Closed
HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER MUSICAL THEATER INSTITUTE (NEW!)
For rising 10th-12th grade students.
Schedule: Monday-Saturday, June 12-27 at 30 Grant Ave.
June 12–24: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
June 26-27: 2 p.m.–5 p.m.
Showcase at Feinstein's at the Nikko: Tuesday, June 27 at 6pm
The YC Summer Musical Theater Institute is a 2.5-week/14-day intensive designed for advanced high school performers (rising 10th-12th grade) desiring disciplined university-level training in musical theater in preparation for applying to competitive performing arts programs. The YC Summer Institute prepares students for the college application process through in-depth training by industry professionals in acting, singing, dance and audition skills, and the synthesis of these skills into the showcase performance studio each day. Additionally, there will be opportunities to learn about other industry topics including resume, headshot and pre-screen / online callback prep, and the college admission process. Classes will be held in-person in our beautiful 30 Grant Ave. studios overlooking Union Square in downtown San Francisco. This training institute will culminate in a public showcase at Feinstein's at the Nikko for friends, family, A.C.T. artistic staff and industry professionals on Tuesday, June 27th at 6pm.
This is a by-audition advanced intensive for students with extensive musical theater training who are committed to a rigorous conservatory-style training experience.
Curriculum for this intensive includes:
- Acting fundamentals as applied to lyrics, monologues, and scene/libretto work
- Vocal technique classes including group lessons and a private 1:1 singing lesson each week
- Dance / choreography with emphasis on both essential vocabulary and fully choreographed numbers
- Electives in College Prep Timelines and Tips, Pre-Screen/Self-Tape Techniques, Resume Workshop and Repertoire Research
- Panels with A.C.T. artistic staff, university professors, and YC alumni currently studying in top theater programs across the nation
- Performance in a public showcase for A.C.T. artistic and industry professionals
HOW TO AUDITION
To audition for the YC Summer Musical Theater Institute, students will prepare:
- An audition video (please upload your video to a YouTube, Vimeo or similar site and make it private, then paste the private link in your application) with:
- INTRODUCTION: please introduce yourself with name, age, where you live, and the names/titles of your three audition pieces
- VOCAL/ACTING: 1- 1½ minutes of a song in the musical theater canon
- ACTING/MONOLOGUE: 1 minute (approx) of a contemporary monologue of a character you could conceivably play
- DANCE/MOVEMENT (optional): 1 minute of dance from a genre of your choice
- A brief statement of intent: using up to 500 words, describe why you want to take this musical theater training intensive and how you think it will contribute to your future plans.
Application deadline is May 1, 2023 at 5pm. (Acceptances will be made on a rolling basis - apply early to be considered first for a spot.) Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Audition Submissions Are Now Closed
SCHEDULE - CALENDAR VIEW
In-person meetings will be held at our 30 Grant Avenue studios in San Francisco.
Beginning June 5, 2023, with the Summer Session, showing proof of vaccination will no longer be required for YC students. Masks will be welcome but not required for all faculty and students while anywhere indoors at 30 Grant Avenue. Please note that our COVID-19 safety policies are subject to change.
Summer Session Refund Policy
- Courses with insufficient enrollment will be canceled and all tuition and fees paid will be refunded in full.
- Withdrawal and refund requests for any other reason must be made in writing and emailed to email@example.com.
- Requests will be honored if received by the designated date prior to the start of the given class (see below). Class tuition will be refunded while the non-refundable registration and library fees will be withheld.
- Current Refund Deadlines (all deadlines are 11:59 p.m. on the date indicated)
- Full tuition refund deadline: Saturday, April 1st, 2023
- Refund with $100 withdrawal fee deadline: Monday, May 1st, 2023
- 50% tuition refund deadline: the Sunday three weeks before the start of the class
- Refunds of any kind will not be given after the above-stated deadline.
- Please allow 10-14 days for your refund to be processed.