YC Summer Internships
A.C.T.’s Young Conservatory (YC) Summer Internship Program provides hands-on training in theater education and arts administration with one of the country’s premier theater companies in the heart of San Francisco. Program Interns are vital to the success of young actor training in the YC. Positions are available to incoming and current college students interested in education, non-profit administration, and production. YC Summer Internships can range from 2–6 weeks, and come with a small commute stipend and other perks, including an on-site mentor and opportunities to attend networking panels with artistic, education, production and other theater professionals.
The YC Summer Intern program has two tracks:
• Young Conservatory Teaching/Office Intern
• Production Intern
Applicants are free to express interest in both positions. Placement will be based on availability/need and interview. Read more about each track below.
YC Teaching/Office Intern
Interns will learn under the guidance of the YC Director, YC administrative team, and our teaching artists.
- In-classroom apprenticeship to professional teaching artists while assisting with students’ training
- Helping to maintaining studio needs and learning environments
- Helping to coordinate teaching artists in the studio
- Engaging with students on their breaks
- Assisting behind the scenes in the A.C.T. Conservatory Office while learning the daily business of the school
Jun 10–Aug 16, 2019
Applicants must be available for at least 2 sessions listed below. They do not need to be consecutive.
Session I: Jun 10–21
Session II: June 24–Jul 5
Session III: Jul 8–19
Session IV: Jul 22–Aug 2
Session V: Aug 5–16
Please have general availability from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (Hours most likely will vary within this time frame. Final schedules will determined before each assistant's start day.)
Perks & Compensation for Teaching/Office Intern
In addition to the learning that happens in the studios and in the YC office, Summer Interns will receive a small commute stipend awarded at the end of commitment, the opportunity to network with A.C.T. artistic and administrative staff through organized panels and seminars, up to two free Studio A.C.T. courses or YC courses (per availability), access to A.C.T.’s performing arts library, and complimentary tickets to all A.C.T. productions happening during the summer.
Students are welcome to arrange academic credit through their schools.
Please inquire within your individual academic institutions for requirements.
YC Production Intern
Interns will learn under the guidance of the Conservatory Artistic and Production teams on a large-scale musical on the Rembe Stage at the Strand.
Interns gain experience by supporting various production and artistic staff for the YC summer production of Into the Woods while learning stage management, design, and technical and artistic execution through:
• Attending rehearsals and helping to manage production notes
• Helping to maintain rehearsal room needs and processes
• Providing assistance backstage during performances
• Assisting with office needs related to the production
Dates and Hours
Production Intern applicants must be available for the full rehearsal and performance schedule of the YC summer production, and may be asked to attend a few production meetings. Qualified candidates need to have some production/technical theater experience.
*The Summer 2019 YC production is Into the Woods, and rehearsals typically run M–F, 10 a.m.–3 p.m. at The Strand Theater (1127 Market Street) from June 24–August 2. Tech is August 3–7; Performances run August 8–17.
Into the Woods rehearsal calendar
Compensation for Production Intern
A small commute stipend awarded at the end of commitment, up to two Studio A.C.T. or YC courses (per availability), access to A.C.T.’s performing arts library, and complimentary tickets to all A.C.T. productions.
Students are welcome to arrange academic credit through their schools. Please inquire within your individual academic institutions for requirements.
How to Apply
The application deadline for 2019 Summer Internship positions is April 1, 2019. Candidates who apply before April 1 may be contacted and considered before the deadline. Applicants will be contacted with a decision no later than May 1, 2019.
Completed applications are accepted by email and should include the following items as PDF attachments:
- Application: Please download and fill out this form completely.
- Personal Statement: This statement should be no longer than one page and include the following: what you expect from an A.C.T. internship; your learning goals and career objectives; your experience and/or education in theater; and the qualities you possess that qualify you as a candidate for the YC Summer Program Internship. Your personal statement should reveal information about yourself that may not be represented in your résumé or recommendation.
- One Letter of Recommendation: This letter may be submitted separately from the rest of your application but must be received by April 1, 2019.
All email submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
YC alumnus and program assistant Darren Criss (Glee)
YC alumnus/program assistant Itamar Moses (Tony Award–winning playwright of The Band's Visit)
YC alumnus Beth Behrs on the hit TV show 2 Broke Girls
© 2019 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.