*Please note: San Francisco Semster is temporarily moving online for our Fall 2020 semester.
We will resume in-person classes and training in San Francisco once it is safe to do so.
Students Who Are Serious about Their Training
San Francisco Semester is for students seeking like-minded actors-in-training who are committed and passionate about their artistry. Students are serious about the work and come prepared for challenges. A.C.T. seeks to attract to its faculty, staff, and student body qualified persons from diverse backgrounds in an effort to enrich our collective creative experience. Students of all abilities, racial identities, and gender identities are welcome and encouraged to apply for A.C.T.'s San Francisco Semester.
Students who have previously attended were:
- Recent high school graduates with a performance background seeking a gap year
- Actors not currently enrolled in undergrad, looking to commit to their artistic training
- Undergraduate students who are seeking a study-away semester at a professional theater institution, while still earning class credit
- Recent college graduates with an AA or Bachelor's degree in theater who want to continue their training
- Actors who seeking a sample of A.C.T.’s MFA program.
- International students who are seeking actor training in a metropolitan U.S. city (previous students have come from Japan, China, Argentina, United Kingdom, France, Argentina, and Sweden)
“My mother always said, ‘Take it for a test drive before you buy it.’ If you’re interested in professional-level MFA acting training, the SFS is that test drive. Afterward I bought the car!”
—Justin Genna, SFS Spring 2015
Guidelines for Applying to San Francisco Semester
Enrollment application submission must include:
- Completed application form
- Current résumé listing previous training and experience
- One full-face snapshot or 8" x 10" headshot
- Contact information for two references, including name, phone number, and email address—these individuals will automatically receive instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended; proof of high school graduation if you have not attended college
- A nonrefundable, nonwaivable $50 application fee, payable by credit card or PayPal
- A personal essay (no longer than one typewritten page) describing why you are pursuing actor training
Please note: Your application must be submitted with all supporting materials
Enrollment is limited and selective. To guarantee your place in A.C.T.'s San Francisco Semester, please submit your enrollment application as early as possible. No entrance audition is necessary. Students are considered for acceptance in the program following an interview after their completed applications are received and reviewed.
Phone Interviews and Acceptance
Interviews with the associate conservatory director are held within two-weeks of all materials of an application being received. Interviewees are notified within two weeks after the interview if they are been accepted, wait-listed, or rejected from the program. Potential students on the wait-list are notified, at the latest, two weeks prior to class starting if they have taken off the waitlist.
Applicants to the San Francisco Semester must:
- Be at least 18 years of age by the chosen class start date
- Have a secondary (US high school equivalent) education degree
- Have proof of current health insurance.
$12,500 (temporarily adjusted tuition for Fall 2020 online program)
(relocation to San Francisco Bay Area not required for Fall 2020 online program)
|Cultural Landscapes Course Fee||$400|
| Total Program Cost:
* A.C.T. does not find housing for students and has no housing available. Apartments, rooms, and residence clubs are located within walking distance of the A.C.T. studios in downtown San Francisco. This figure reflects food, transportation, personal, miscellaneous, medical and housing costs for students living in off-campus apartments for 15 weeks in the Bay Area
© 2019 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.