Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have questions after reading the FAQ and the other program materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Studio A.C.T. courses are meeting online using the Zoom platform until further notice. No in-person classes are currently offered.
- May I visit the school for a tour? Due to ongoing government Shelter-in-Place advisories, neither the Geary Theater building at 415 Geary Street, nor The Strand Theater at 1127 Market Street, are currently open to the public. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Weekday classes are held in the evenings. Weekend classes are held in the afternoon.
- Most courses meet once a week for 8 weeks during the fall, winter, and spring sessions. Summer Session courses meet twice a week for 4 weeks.
- Weeklong intensives are offered in the summer session as well as the annual December Inter-Session.
- Special one-day master classes are offered each session.
- Please note: Due to the high volume of activities in the A.C.T. studios throughout each day and evening, we are unable to make studios available to Studio A.C.T. students for their rehearsals outside of class.
- All applicants must be at least 19 years old.
- No audition is necessary for most courses.
- Some courses require prerequisite training, as noted in their individual course descriptions. Students registering for classes that require previous experience (please check course description) may be contacted for more information or asked to select a class that better fits their current level of experience.
- Enrollment is at the discretion of the Studio A.C.T. director.
- Most courses are limited to 12 to 14 students.
- Students are expected to attend all scheduled classes and out-of-class scene partner rehearsals on time and ready to work. Please cross-check your calendar carefully when selecting your classes.
- Known schedule conflicts, including work conflicts, must be approved by the Director of Studio A.C.T. prior to enrollment. Send questions in this regard to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Absences may affect future enrollment.
Fees and Payment
- Tuition and fees for each class are listed alongside the individual class descriptions.
- Payments may be made online with Visa or MasterCard. No cash, checks, or other in-person payment are possible at this time.
- Outstanding tuition balances must be paid prior to the first class.
- The 50/50 Payment Plan (see “Discounts” below) is not availble when registering with a discount or other promotional code.
- A one-time $20 nonrefundable registration fee for new students will be added at the time of enrollment.
- A $10 nonrefundable registration fee for returning students will be added at the time of enrollment.
- A $5 nonrefundable library fee per student will be added at the time of enrollment.
- An “Early Bird Discount” of 10% is typically offered for a few weeks immediately after a given session’s class schedule is announced.
- Current A.C.T. subscribers receive a 20% reduction of tuition for one course during the season. This offer is not available online. Please call 415.439.2444 to receive this discount.
- Although Studio A.C.T. does not offer financial aid, we do offer a “50% now, 50% first day of class” payment plan option. You will see this 50/50 Payment Plan option during your online registration.
- Please note: the 50/50 Payment Plan is not available when registering with a discount or other promotional code.
Perks? Yes, Perks!
- Studio A.C.T. students have access to the A.C.T. Library—easily the most significant collection of scripts and books on theater in the Bay Area—for a full year following their latest enrollment. Use your student I.D. to check out scripts in order to prepare for auditions, classes, or to otherwise further your theater interests.
- Studio A.C.T. students are eligible to make use of the A.C.T. rush ticket policy for all A.C.T. productions for a full year following their latest enrollment. Use your student I.D. to buy tickets at the box office.
Withdrawals and Refunds
- Courses with insufficient enrollment will be canceled and all tuition and fees paid will be refunded in full.
- Withdrawal and refund requests for any other reason must be made in writing and will be honored if received at least 24 hours prior to the first class session. Class tuition will be refunded while the non-refundable registration and library fees will be withheld.
- Should a withdrawal and refund request be made after the above deadline, a $20 processing fee will be withheld in addition to the standard non-refundable fees.
- Refunds of any kind cannot be processed after the second class session.
- Please allow 10 working days for your refund to be processed.
- All refund requests must be sent in writing to both your coach and the Studio A.C.T. Inbox at email@example.com
- In the event you must cancel a scheduled private coaching session, a full refund can only be given if we receive a written request by email at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled session. Full refunds are also given if either the coach or Studio A.C.T. must cancel the session and it is not possible to reschedule.
If you are enrolled and paying tuition in Studio A.C.T., you may be eligible to apply for education tax credits that will help reduce your tax liability. For more information, please refer to IRS Publication 970 or visit www.irs.gov.
Course Credit and Transcripts
All courses, except where noted, earn one semester hour of undergraduate credit. Students receive a final grade of high pass, pass, low pass, or fail. Students may obtain an official transcript of their course work by submitting a transcript request form.
Studio A.C.T. Student Handbook
Feel free to download the Studio A.C.T. Student Handbook (PDF), outlining Studio A.C.T. policies.
PLEASE NOTE: The Studio A.C.T. Student Handbook is currently undergoing a substantial updated to reflect COVID-19 era policies as well as recent significant administrative and other changes taking place at A.C.T. The version of the Handbook posted above does not yet reflect these updates. We will post the revised Handbook as soon as possible. Please refer to this website for current policies, and feel free to contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2019 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.