YC SUMMER MUSICAL THEATER INSTITUTE:
June 10–June 25, 2024
Schedule: Monday-Saturday, June 10–25: 10 a.m.–5 p.m. at 30 Grant Ave.
(Please note that while we will hold classes on Juneteenth, we will accommodate absences.)
Showcase: Tuesday, June 25: 6pm at Feinstein’s at the Nikko
Financial aid is available upon request. Please inquire about aid only if you’ve been accepted into the program
The second annual YC Summer Musical Theater Institute is a 2.5-week/14-day intensive designed for advanced high school performers (rising 10th-12th grade) desiring disciplined university-level training in musical theater in preparation for applying to competitive performing arts programs. The YC Summer Institute prepares students for the college application process through in-depth training by industry professionals in acting, singing, dance and audition skills, and the synthesis of these skills into the showcase performance studio each day. Additionally, there will be opportunities to learn about other industry topics including resume, headshot and pre-screen/online callback prep, and the college admission process. Classes will be held in-person in our beautiful 30 Grant Avenue studios overlooking Union Square in downtown San Francisco. This training institute will culminate in a public showcase for friends, family, A.C.T. artistic staff and industry on Tuesday, June 25th at 6pm at the renowned cabaret venue Feinstein’s at the Nikko.
This is a by-audition advanced intensive for students who are committed to a rigorous conservatory-style training experience.
Curriculum for this intensive includes:
- Acting fundamentals as applied to lyrics, monologues, and scene/libretto work
- Vocal technique classes including group lessons and a private 1:1 singing lesson each week
- Dance/choreography with emphasis on both essential vocabulary, and fully choreographed numbers
- Tips for College Prep timelines, Pre-Screen/Self-Tape Techniques, Resumes and Repertoire Research
- Panels with A.C.T. artistic staff, university professors, and YC alumni currently studying in top theater programs across the nation
- Performance in a public showcase for A.C.T. artistic and industry professionals
HOW TO AUDITION
To audition for the YC Summer Musical Theater Institute, students will prepare:
- An audition video (please upload your video to a YouTube, Vimeo or similar site and make it private, then paste the private link in your application) with:
- INTRODUCTION: Please introduce yourself with your name, age, where you live, and the names/titles of your three audition pieces
- VOCAL/ACTING: 1–1½-minute cut of a song in the musical theater canon
- ACTING/MONOLOGUE: 1–1½-minute contemporary monologue of a character you could conceivably play
- DANCE/MOVEMENT (optional): 1-minute dance from a genre of your choice
- A brief statement of intent: in maximum 500 words (less is okay!), describe why you want to take this training intensive, how you think it will contribute to your future plans, and why/how musical theater as a way of storytelling is important to you.
Audition submissions are due by April 15, 2024. Applicants will be notified of their application status by latest May 1, 2024.
SCHEDULE - CALENDAR VIEW
Classes will be held at our 30 Grant Avenue studios in San Francisco.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of all faculty and students, the YC will adhere to the most updated safety precautions recommended by San Francisco, county, and state guidance in effect at the time of class.