No! Our classes are open to students of all levels, whether they have no actor training or whether they already have various acting experiences under their belt!
The YC accepts students from ages 8 to 19 years old (grades 3-12).
There is no audition required to take a class at the YC, unless specifically noted on the schedule. However, our performance projects and productions are by audition only. Audition information can be found on the Performance Opportunities page of our website.
As of Summer 2020, our Young Conservatory office and classes are no longer located at 30 Grant Avenue. Once we are able to safely hold in-person classes again, we will provide an update as to where our YC classes will resume.
Our YC online classes are held via Zoom, a free online video platform/app. About a week before class starts, we will provide students the Zoom info for their class meetings. Students do not need a personal Zoom account to access our class meetings.
In order to allow our faculty and students to create the most successful ensemble atmosphere, family members, friends and prospective students are not permitted to view or audit classes. During the last class of every session, however, we do hold open classes, which family and friends are invited to attend. If you are interested in sitting in on an Open Class, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We limit most of our online classes to a maximum of 12 students. For our in-person classes, the enrollment cap ranges from 12-16 students. Most classes have a minimum of 6 students in the classroom. If a class is listed as sold out, please email email@example.com to be added to the waitlist. If you are on the waitlist, do not show up to class unless you are contacted by a YC Team Member confirming that a spot is available for you and that you have paid your tuition.
All classes are subject to cancellation if there is insufficient enrollment. If your class gets cancelled due to low enrollment, you will receive a full refund (tuition and registration fee) or the option to switch into a different class during that session. To help ensure that your class does not get cancelled, please sign up for your class as soon as possible to secure your spot in the class and help boost enrollment numbers – and sign up for classes with your friends!
Most of our YC classes hold an Open Class day, which usually lands on the last hour of class on their final day of class. Our open classes are not meant to be polished performances, but rather allow for invited friends and family to sit in and watch what students have been working on over the span of the course. We normally send out the Open Class Schedule a few weeks before the end of class. Our class instructors will reach out to families with more details about the Open Class about mid-way through the scheduled course.
Each family is responsible for making their own pick-up and drop-off arrangements. Students traveling on their own must leave the building immediately after class. For our Junior level students (Grades 3-5) we will have our instructors accompany the students to be picked up by their parents/guardians in a designated lobby area. Please be respectful of our instructors’ time and arrive promptly at the end of class.
We do not offer supervised care for students before or after classes. Please make arrangements accordingly.
We recommend signing up for a class only if you are can make the majority of those scheduled classes. This typically means missing no more than 1-2 scheduled classes. Many of our classes involve scene and partner work, and absences greatly affect the progression of the class curriculum, and can inconvenience other students enrolled in the class. We do not prorate classes due to student absences. If you know of an absence in advance, please let us know as soon as possible by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may inform our instructors.
When you register your student into the YC you are agreeing to our photo/video release policy, which grants A.C.T. the absolute rights and permission to publish and/or copyright photographs and/or videos of your child. These photographs and/or videos may be used in perpetuity for marketing and publicity purposes, in any medium without compensation to student/class purchaser. You are agreeing to waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product, including written copy that may be created with said photographs and/or videos. If you have any concerns about photographs being taken and/or would like to opt out, please email us at email@example.com.
YC students can get half price student rush tickets for A.C.T. mainstage productions. Each student can get up to 2 (TWO) half price tickets per performance, subject to availability 90 minutes before curtain. Students must present proof of enrollment upon purchase. Please contact the Box Office at 415.749.2228 for more information.
We offer scholarships to students based on need. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to request a scholarship application. Scholarship applications are due at least two weeks before the class is scheduled to start. We accept scholarship applications on a rolling basis, and rewards are determined on a need-basis and depend on class availability.
The registration deadline for our classes normally lands on the Monday before classes are scheduled to begin. We will accept applications after this time; however, space in the class cannot be guaranteed.
Space is available in all of our classes unless otherwise noted on our website. If the class is no longer listed on the class registration page, this usually means the class is full. If you would like to sign up for a class that is currently full, please email email@example.com to be added to the waitlist.
- Visit the Class Session webpage that you’d like to sign up for and look over the schedule and course descriptions. Then click the “SIGN UP” button when you are ready to register.
- You’ll first be directed to fill out a YC Student Questionnaire. Your answers will provide us specific information we need to register you into our classes. We will also collect current emergency contact information. At the end of this form, you will be prompted to agree to our photo/video release policy. Once you submit this form, select the appropriate registration link (Junior, Middle School, or High School) to continue registering.
- Once you are on the registration page, enter any discount codes at the top right corner and click “SUBMIT.” Please note that you will not be able to use a discount code if you’d like to opt in our 50/50 Payment Plan. Select “1” in the appropriate dropdown and click “CONTINUE.”
- On the class registration page, first make sure to select a New or Returning Student Registration Fee and add this to your cart. You will not be able to continue to checkout if you do no add the registration fee to your cart. Then select the class(es) you’d like to register for, add to cart, and continue on to checkout/payment.
NOTE: If you do NOT see your class listed on the class registration page, this usually means that class is sold out. If you would like to waitlist for the class, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend registering on a computer rather than on a phone or tablet.
Every student must pay a New or a Returning Student Registration Fee for each YC Session they are registering for (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer). The New Student Registration Fee is $12 and the Returning Registration Fee is $25. These registration fees are non-refundable.
We prefer that students register online before the first day of class. You may register on the first day of class if there is space left, however please note that there may no longer be any spots in the class if you try to register on the first day of class. If you are interested in an in-person class, do not show up on the first day of class unless you have officially enrolled online or over the phone. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Only under certain circumstances. We may allow a student to join a class late only if:
- The class has only had one class meeting so far.
- There are open spots left in the class.
- The instructor approves the late addition into the classroom.
We have this policy in place to help ensure that our classes are running smoothly and uninterrupted since many students receive scene and/or partner assignments on the first day of class. Since we close online registrations for any classes that have already started, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining a class late.
Current A.C.T. subscribers receive 20% reduction of tuition from one course during the season. We also offer occasional Early Bird 10% discounts for each of our class sessions. To receive updates about our class and ongoing promotions, make sure to opt in our YC Newsletter by emailing us at email@example.com.
Once you have registered for a class online, our online registration system will automatically email you a confirmation invoice of your class order. In the week prior to your first day of class, you will receive a welcome email with additional information about your upcoming class session.
Fall, Winter, & Spring Sessions:
- Courses with insufficient enrollment will be canceled and all tuition and fees paid will be refunded in full.
- Withdrawal and refund requests for any other reason must be made in writing and will be honored if received at least 24 hours prior to the start of the first class session. Class tuition will be refunded while the non-refundable registration and library fees will be withheld. To request a refund, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Should a refund request be made the first class meeting, a $20 withdrawal fee will be withheld in addition to the standard non-refundable fees.
- Refunds of any kind cannot be processed after the start of the second class session.
- Please allow 10 business days for your refund to be processed.
Summer Sessions Only:
- Cancelations must be made in writing and will be honored if received at least 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the start of the first class session. Class tuition will be refunded minus the non-refundable registration fee, plus a $75 processing fee. Please email your cancelation request to email@example.com.
- Refunds of any kind will not be given after the above-stated deadline.
- Please allow 10–14 working days for your refund to be processed.
All refund requests must be sent in writing to both your coach and the Young Conservatory Inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event you must cancel a scheduled private coaching session, a full refund will only be given if we receive a written request by email at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled session. Full refunds are also given if either the coach or the YC must cancel the session and it is not possible to reschedule.