If you still have questions after reading the FAQ and the other application materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need to have any experience in order to register for a Young Conservatory class?
No! Our classes are open to students of all levels, whether they have no actor training or whether they already have various acting experiences under their belt!
Is there an age requirement?
The YC accepts students from ages 8 to 19 years old (grades 3-12).
Is there an audition required to be accepted into the YC?
There is no audition required to take a class at the YC. However, our performance projects and productions are by audition only. Audition information can be found on the Performance Opportunities page of our website.
Where are YC classes held?
All classes are held on the 8th and 9th floors of 30 Grant Avenue, in downtown San Francisco, unless otherwise noted. This is also where our Young Conservatory Office is located.
May I visit the school for a tour?
Due to the complex scheduling of our studios, we are unable to offer tours of our facilities. If you are in the area, a conservatory associate will be happy to speak with you about our programs. Please call 415.439.2444 for more information.
Can my child sit in on a class?
In order to allow our faculty and students to create the most successful ensemble atmosphere, family members, friends and prospective students are not permitted to view or audit classes. During the last class of every session, however, we do hold open classes, which family and friends are invited to attend.
Can I show up at registration on the first day of classes to enroll?
No. All students must register online before the first day of classes.
How large are classes and what happens if a class is sold out?
We limit most of our classes to a maximum of 16 students. If a class is listed as sold out, please email email@example.com to be added to the waitlist. If you are on the waitlist, do not show up to class unless you are contacted by a YC Team Member confirming that a spot is available for you and that you have paid your tuition.
My class got cancelled! What now?
All classes are subject to cancellation if there is insufficient enrollment. If your class gets cancelled due to low enrollment, you will receive a full refund (tuition and nonrefundable fees) or the option to switch into a different class during that session. To help ensure that your class does not get cancelled, please sign up for your class as soon as possible to secure your spot in the class and help boost enrollment numbers – and sign up for classes with your friends!
Will there be a performance at the end of the class session?
Most of our YC classes hold an Open Class day, which usually lands on the last hour of class on their final day of class. Our open classes are not meant to be polished performances, but rather allow for invited friends and family to sit in and watch what students have been working on over the span of the course. We normally send out the Open Class Schedule a few weeks before the end of class.
What is the drop-off and pick-up procedure?
Each family is responsible for making their own pick-up and drop-off arrangements. Students traveling on their own must leave the building immediately after class. For our Junior level students (Grades 3-5) we will have our instructors walk their class down to the foyer of 30 Grant Ave to be picked up by their parents/guardians. Please be respectful of our instructors’ time and arrive promptly at the end of class.
Do you have any child care options before or after class?
We do not offer supervised care for students before or after classes. Please make arrangements accordingly. We have a lounge and library that are open to our students before and after class; however, these spaces are not monitored by YC staff.
What is the attendance policy?
Since most of our classes in our regular school sessions (Fall, Spring, and Winter) meet once a week for eight weeks, we recommend signing up for a class only if you can make the majority of those scheduled classes. Many of our classes involve scene and partner work, and absences greatly affect the progression of the class curriculum, and can inconvenience other students enrolled in the class. We do not prorate classes due to student absences. If you know of an absence in advance, please let us know as soon as possible by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may inform our instructors.
What is your photo waiver policy?
When you register your student into the YC you are agreeing to our photo waiver policy, which grants A.C.T. the absolute rights and permission to publish and/or copyright photographs and/or videos of your child. These photographs and/or videos may be used in perpetuity for marketing and publicity purposes, in any medium without compensation to student/class purchaser. You are agreeing to waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product, including written copy that may be created with said photographs and/or videos.
If you have any concerns about photographs being taken and/or would like to opt out, please email us at email@example.com.
What are some YC student perks?
- All currently enrolled YC students are granted a year’s worth of access to our A.C.T. Library located on the 7th floor at 30 Grant Ave. Students may check out books using their Student ID, which is distributed on the first day of class.
- YC students can get half price student rush tickets for A.C.T. mainstage productions. Each student can get up to 2 (TWO) half price tickets per performance, subject to availability 90 minutes before curtain. Students must present their YC Student ID upon purchase. Please contact the Box Office at 415.749.2228 for more information.
What kind of financial aid is available for the YC?
We offer scholarships to students based on need. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to request a scholarship application.
Is there a deadline to register for class?
The registration deadline for our classes normally lands on the Monday before classes are scheduled to begin. We will accept applications after this time; however, space in the class cannot be guaranteed.
How do I know if there is still space available in a class?
Space is available in all of our classes unless otherwise noted on our website. If the class is unavailable for online enrollment that indicates that the class is full. If you would like to sign up for a class that is currently full, please email email@example.com to be added to the waitlist.
How do I register for a class?
- Visit the Class Session webpage that you’d like to sign up for and look over the schedule and course descriptions. Then click the “SIGN UP” button to choose your classes and proceed to checkout.
- When you are registering for a class, please be sure to sign up under the student’s name rather than the purchaser’s name. If for some reason you have signed up for a class under the wrong name, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure to enter any promo codes before selecting the class(es) you’d like to register into. Once the code is accepted, under the “Select Quantity” section enter “1” under “Conservatory Discount (10%) category (this should have a STAR beside it!).
Please Note: The 50/50 Payment Plan is not available when registering with a discount code.
If you are experiencing any bundle error messages, we recommend restarting your browser and reselecting your class(s). Please contact us at 415-439-2444 if you are still experiencing problems registering.
What are the registration fees I’m being charged?
For every student you register per session, there is a student registration fee and library fee. For new students the registration fee is $20 and for returning students the registration fee is $7. The library fee is $5. These registration fees are non-refundable.
What tuition discounts do you offer?
Current A.C.T. subscribers receive 20% reduction of tuition from one course during the season. We also offer occasional Early Bird 10% discounts for each of our class sessions. To receive updates about our class and ongoing promotions, make sure to opt in our YC Newsletter by emailing us at email@example.com.
I've registered online for a class. Now what?
Once you have registered for a class online, our online registration system will automatically email you a confirmation invoice of your class order. In the week prior to your first day of class, you will receive a welcome email with additional information about your upcoming class session.
What is your class refund policy?
Fall, Winter, & Spring Sessions:
- Courses with insufficient enrollment will be canceled and all tuition and fees paid will be refunded in full.
- Withdrawal and refund requests for any other reason must be made in writing and will be honored if received at least 24 hours prior to the first class session. Class tuition will be refunded while the non-refundable registration and library fees will be withheld.
- Should a refund request be made after the above deadline, a $20 processing fee will be withheld in addition to the standard non-refundable fees.
- Refunds of any kind cannot be processed after the second class session.
- Please allow 10 working days for your refund to be processed.
Summer Sessions Only:
- Cancelations must be made in writing and will be honored if received at least 3 weeks (21 days) prior to the first class session. Class tuition will be refunded minus the non-refundable registration/library fee, plus a $50 processing fee. Please email your cancelation request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds of any kind cannot be processed after the above-stated deadline.
- Please allow 10 working days for your refund to be processed.
You can access the Young Conservatory Student Handbook HERE which is distributed to all YC students at the top of every session.
© 2019 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.